Saturday, September 28, 2013

Muromi Lantern Festival and a funny facial story

 Saturday, September 28, 2013

Yesterday was the Muromi Lantern Festival. This event was cancelled last year due to a typhoon in the area. I headed out on my bike around 6:15 PM. The sun was setting and there was a beautiful pink sunset. 

It only took me about 15 minutes on my bike to reach the festival. I was surprised at how quickly it got dark. There were a lot of people who were going to the festival. Had I not of known where it was I could have just followed the crown heading south.

The view was spectacular. The river was lined with lanterns in all different designs. There were smaller designs and then others that were so large it made it almost impossible to capture the entire design in one photo.

One thing that was a nice surprise was that I had not used the camera on my iphone since I updated to ios 7. Wow! The update made my phone camera be able to take better photos of the lanterns that my Coolpix camera. It even now allows me to take panoramic shots. I was so happy about this.

I ran into some of the teachers at my school. Many went together, but I decided just to go and then see if I ran into anyone. There was a large area where they were selling food and drinks.

It was a nice night and the weather was pleasant enough. It was still humid out, but each day it getting a little better.

OK, now to tell you the story about my first facial in Japan. This was an interesting experience. I live across the street from the Meinohama station. There are many shops and services offered in the station. I get my massages there as well as get my haircut there. I finally decided that I would try to get a facial. I made the appointment two weeks ago, which was an adventure in itself. My appointment was scheduled for 4:00. I arrived on time and was taken to a little two-seat consultation area. Obviously, I could not understand Japanese and the woman only knew a little English. I filled out a few basic areas of information on the form. After that, she was asking me questions using my itranslate app on my phone. She must have decided this was too much work because she finally just said, “Oh, never mind. Let’s start.”

She took me back to the changing room and had me slip on something in place of my shirt. The reclining chair she had me sit in is a massage chairs. That was relaxing.

She cleaned my face with some very foamy potion. Then she put a bunch of some type of cream and gave me a face, neck and upper back massage. This was incredible. I would go back just for that.

After the massage she cleaned my face again, applied moisturizer and then said, “OK, you are all done.” Well, it was just about 60 minutes from when I walked in, did the consultation and then had the “mini, partial facial”.

I had no idea how much the facial would be because their “menu” had so many different things listed. She gave me the bill and it was only 2,500 yen. I asked her several times if that was correct because that is so inexpensive for anything in Japan. She took my money and was showing me out.

I asked her if I could just call to schedule another appointment, and she basically made it feel like I couldn’t. I asked for more clarification and she said that they do not do just one facial. That normally the sell “courses of 10, 20 or 30” facials. I asked about the 10 courses and she told me that you have to pay up front and that it would be 52,000 yen. That is around $520. That is crazy!!!!

I told her to write it down in Japanese so I could have a friend explain it to me. I had to do this so it would look like I was interested, but there is NO WAY that I am paying that all up front. Crazy!!

Now my mission is to see where I can go to have just one facial every couple of months.

Do you want the funniest part of the story? I am sure I should not even say because you will probably feel as embarrassed for me as I was feeling. OK, here goes….

They have a changing area that they keep the door closed, but you change in one area. I had remembered that my shirt was inside out when I went to hang it on a hanger. Well, when I went to get dressed I threw my shirt on quickly because I do not like getting dressed around other people.

So, I had talked with the lady for a good 10 minutes before heading across the street to go home. Luckily, I walked on the outside of the shops and not through the building because when I got into the elevator I realized my shirt was inside out!!! I almost died of laughter. I thought that she must have thought I was some crazy gaijiin. So, there you have it. Don’t laugh too hard.

OK, that is all for now. I know I have a lot of back logging to do since I have not posted anything about my summer or the beginning of school. I will try to do that in the next couple of weeks.



















No comments:

Post a Comment