Saturday, September 29, 2012

Tea Ceremony

Calligraphy on a fan.

Clown masked ball dancer.

Japanese musci.

Tea ceremony teachers.

Tea Ceremony

   This morning I was fortunate to be able to join in a free tea ceremony held at the community center near the Fujisake station. Robyn, Justin, Nana, Jade, Vera, Kamlesh, Vishwany and myself went. (Mark wanted to go but he is home sick. I am hoping that he is feeling better before Monday.) When we arrived at the community center we went upstairs and joined others from the area. 

   I had been reading up on the internet last night about the tea ceremony. I was hoping to find out what was expected from those attending. I have to say I was so happy to see when we walked in that there were tables and chairs. We slowly came to realize that it was a class being offered to teach us about the tea ceremony. We were divided into three groups. My group was the first to go into the tatami room where the tea ceremony was being held. I was told to sit in “the special seat” which was right next to the area they make the tea. Nana, Justin and Robyn were also in my group along with others. 

   As we settled in around the room we began to watch the woman who was making the tea. It is a very ritual ceremony and everything is done in a particular order. Once the woman began making the tea we were served something sweet to eat. I will be honest, I was very nervous when I saw it because I did not know what it was. There were several ladies in the room that were teaching us about the tea ceremony and one of the women told us we need to eat the whole sweet. I had a small bite at first. It was something made with chestnuts. I was hopeful that I would like it and that would make it so much better, but of course that was not to be. I did not like it and to be honest it was making me gag. I took a couple more very small bites. I knew there was no way I could finish it. Everyone else had already finished there and I was still trying to eat it knowing there was no way it was going to happen. Luckily for me I have friends who are willing to help out. Nana was near enough to me that I could trade her napkins so she could have my sweet and hand it to Justin. 

   Once that was over with we all focused our attention on the making of the tea. Since I was in “the special seat” I was served first. I was told to pick up the cup with my right hand and set it in the palm of my left hand. Once I had done that one of the women told me to take a small drink. Once I had I was then instructed to take three drinks and the last one needed to be a noisy slurp to show I enjoyed the tea. Well, there was some misunderstanding on my part. I thought I was only to drink a little of the tea so I took small sips and when I placed my cup back on the floor I was told that I was to drink the whole cup. I had thought I was to drink some and then pass it on. Now, I do not know why I thought that since that would not be very sanitary. So, I once again picked up my cup and began to drink it down and once again make a loud slurping noise.

   After I had finished my glass some other women came out with trays with tea cups on them for the other people attending the ceremony. Everyone proceeded to do what I had done. I do have a few photos from this part of the ceremony. We were given permission to take photos.

   When we had all finished our tea we were told about a scroll that was on the wall and what it mean. It said “I see you, I hear you, do not do bad things” - well, that is what we were told the message said. It does make sense. It basically says that people see you and hear you so do not do bad things. I like it!

   Here is what the paper we were given said:

How to drink thin Maccha
1. Bow in response who bring your tea.
2. At first, bow to the guest to your right side and say “Go-shouban itashimasu (Please allow me to share tea with you)” then bow to the left side and say “Osakini (Please excuse me for going before you)” Finally bow to the hose and say “O-temae choudai itashimiasu (I will partake your tea)”
3. Pick up your bowl with your right hand and place it on your left hand. Bow your head while raising bowl slightly in a gesture of thanks.
4. Turn the bowl clockwise on your palm so that the font of the bowl faces the host.
5. After taking a sip, place the tips of your finders of your right hand and comment to the host on the taste of the tea “Kekkou na o-fuku kagen-de gozimasu (It is so good taste)”
6. Finish the tea with a sharp, audible sip. Wipe the rim with your fingertips from left to right, then wipe your fingers on your “Kaishi” paper.
7. Turn the bowl anti-clockwie so that the front of the bowl faces you.
8. Appreciate the bow on tatami, then pick up the bowl appreciate again, but don't pick it too high to prevent drop it down.

***I typed this directly as it was typed on my paper. There are a few mistakes, but they add to the charm of the whole thing.***

   As we left the room we were directed to another room where we were going to learn how to make the thin green tea known as maccha. We all selected a tea cup we wanted to use. We sat down and were told to take two scoops of the green tea powder. Hot water was added and then we used a bamboo or some other type of wooden whisk. I had thought I had done a good job stirring my tea. One of the women teaching came by and vigorously whisked mine until it was light and frothy. Now I do know what to do in the future.

   After this we were once again taken to a different room. We were in the room where we began the morning. Now we met other people and signed up for free Japanese lessons on Saturdays from 10-12. I am very excited about this. We met the teacher and he was very friendly. He told me his wife is a vegetarian. I am hoping I will get to meet her one week.

   Once I left there I headed home to see how Mark was feeling. I needed to go to the little store across the street to get a few items.

   After that I went to the festival that is being held right by my apartment. They had a lot of different things going on there. Tons of food booths, activities for the kids, cocktails,  dancers, calligraphy painting demonstrations, etc. I am trying to attach a video of the one dancers. If it does work at one point it will turn the wrong way...I was experimenting and not in a successful way.

   I was supposed to be going to the Muromi Lantern Festival this evening, but it was cancelled due to weather. It may be held tomorrow depending on the weather. I was very disappointed since I was looking forward to seeing all the amazing designs made with the lanterns.

   I will have more to come soon. I will be updating from last weekend too. 


The tea maker.

Justin and Robyn drinking their tea.

Justin making his tea.

Nana and Justin.

Our tea ceremony room.

Tea making area.

Tea area where I was sitting to the left.

Everyone drinking their tea.

Our tea room.

I see you, I hear you, do not do bad things.

Festival going on right by my apartment.



   

No comments:

Post a Comment