Saturday, September 8, 2012

Another adventure or disaster date night?



Friday night date night.....disaster or another adventure to add to the book? OK, let me back up a bit. On Thursday Mark and I decided to go to the Softbank Sea Hawks baseball game on Friday night. On the way home I told Mark we could stop by a Family Mart and purchase the tickets. I had been told that the local little markets had a machine where you could get your tickets. We have a Family Mart and a 7-eleven right near our house. Mark stayed outside watching the bikes while I “ran” in to get the tickets. First I walked all around the shop to see if I could find the ticket machine. I was hoping it would be obvious and that it might have an “English” button. Who was I kidding? Any way, I finally had to ask the woman working if she spoke English. She didn't so I had to use my best pantomime skills. I pretended to throw a baseball into the air and hit it with a bat. She smiled and said baseball. Now I knew that she knew what I needed. She took me to the machine, but when I saw it was all in Japanese I told her “no Japanese”. She was trying to assist me the best she could. I communicated in many different actions and hand gestures that I wanted two tickets for the Friday game for about 1000 JPY. Once we got to the part of the selection process of picking seats she was lost. She didn't now what to pick. She called over a young man that was working there with her to help me out. Now, he did speak a little English so I was confident that I would be soon leaving with the tickets I needed. He kept asking me about the seats. I just kept telling him good seats in an “open area” for about 1000 JPY each. He finally got..or so I thought...that I wanted to be able to sit someplace where I would be able to see the infield. He chose the area around the first base. I was very happy about this. He said the seats were about 2000 JPY each. I paid it because in my mind I was going to have good seats for Mark's first baseball game in Japan. The lady and man were very nice and we all had a good laugh while they tried to help me. I finally left and explained to Mark what all was involved with buying the tickets. It was a good experience and at that time I thought I had succeeded.

Jump to Friday evening. We left school right at 4:30 PM (which is the earliest we can leave) to bike home and feed the cats and leave our school stuff at home. We got home and changed and fed the cats. Then we were off for our Friday night date night. The date was a first in Japan, too. I was so excited because I knew Mark was going to get a kick out of the game, the cheering and of course the balloon thing they do. We rode our bikes to the Yahoo! Dome and found the bike parking which is huge on game nights. We had planned on eating at the game because they have so much food and so many different kinds of food to choose from. We got our food and then headed off to find our seats. I found one guy who spoke some English so he pointed us in the direction of the 5 section. I was getting more excited because the view was great from the area we entered. Once you get in there there are ushers who look at your tickets and take you to your seats. We had a young lady who was leading us to our seats. We were climbing up and up and up and up. I was worried that we were going up so high. I guess that should have been the least of my worries. Once we got to the highest level we could go to she then took us BEHIND the last row of seats. There was the railing that you see at all of the venues. She led us behind and showed us how we could hold the rails and STAND UP!!! Yes, I said stand up. She then did the “no” signed by crossing her arms into an “x” and pointing at the seats in front of us which basically meant we were not to sit. I thought she was kidding......but she wasn't. For some reason there are enough people in the world too stupid to buy tickets for actual seats. I was so bummed! I couldn't believe that I paid 4000 JPY to stand at a baseball game. That is $51 to STAND at a baseball game. We began to laugh about it because I would have cried otherwise. It was just so unreal. Who in their right minds would ever pay that much to stand at a game. Now, I am not talking about an area that is open seating and you can sit on something...there was NO SITTING to be had. Ugghhhhh...I still can't believe it. So, I was thinking that the guy did not know what he was doing or the joke was on me for buying those tickets. Mark and I lasted 2 innings and then we were out of there. It is not good on your feet or back to stand on hard concrete very long. I was very disappointed so we did the only thing we could to make ourselves feel better. We went and had a drink.....at Starbucks. That made it almost worth the trip out for the night. I actually had a new drink called a “Crunchy Caramel Frapp”. Very delicious!!! We then walked around Hawks Town which is a shopping center that I have blogged about in the past. After our “big” night out we went and got our bikes so we could ride home. As we were going home it began to rain. Yes, it began to rain. Luckily it was not a down pour or anything. Enough to make it hard to see through my glasses though. We stopped at the Fukuoka Tower to take a photo and then we went home. Nothing like coming home from such a fun date night and being sweaty and wet from the rain and humidity.

So, I am trying to decide if this date night was an adventure or a disaster date. What do you think?? You can weigh in on this one. We have not given up on the baseball games though. We are planning on buying tickets for the September 29th afternoon game. I found a site in English which also has a map of the seat. I am going to see if someone from work would be willing to help me purchase my tickets so I can make sure I am buying seats (that you can sit on) with backs in a good area. I am willing to pay more if I know I can sit for the game. I'll let you know how that turns out.

Well this week has gone by so quickly. I can't believe that it is already Saturday. Tomorrow my shipment arrives. We have 32 boxes arriving from the states. Everyone thinks that is so many, but you have to remember there are 16 small boxes and 16 medium boxes. So if you were picturing huge boxes you need to think again. I do know now that I am here that I did probably ship too much. Yes, I admitted to probably shipping too much. It isn't that I didn't know the living accommodations in Japan would be small, but I guess I didn't picture how little storage places there would be. I have decided that I will keep what things I use and/or need (want) and maybe get rid of the rest if there are places who take slightly used items. I know there are second hand stores, I just don't know what they will or won't take. That will be another blog down the road. First everything has to arrive and get put away.

Today was a quiet day. It was raining when we woke up and it rained for most of the morning and early afternoon. Once the rain let up we needed to go to 7-eleven to pay a bill I got in the mail. Here you go to the little stores and pay with cash. They stamp it and give you a receipt. After that we went to buy groceries.

I am posting some photos from the game and then some of beautiful sunsets that I have seen this week. Every night the sunsets are just so beautiful.

Enjoy and there will be more to come....










No comments:

Post a Comment