Sunday, June 10, 2012

East on Highway 22

Mark and I decided to take my brother's advice and take highway 22 east. He told us it is a beautiful drive, and he was right. Today and tomorrow are supposed to be rain free and warm. Today it should get up to 72 and tomorrow all the way up to 75 degrees. We headed out of Salem about 9:30 AM.

There are many tree farms, vineyards and farmland along the highway. Some of the houses are so grand that I could picture them on a television show. We first stopped to take a break and get out and stretch our legs in Gates. There were many people there. Many who must have had the same idea as us. They had some vending machines out in the middle and I was so surprised to see a Pringles machine. I had never seen a Pringles vending machine. (No, I didn't buy any....just was taking it all in.)

We continued on our way and we could see the Cascade mountains in the distance. They are still snow covered. Our next stop was at the Detroit Dam. There were many people out fishing this morning. We saw a young boy catch a fish. He was so proud. It was very cute to see how happy he was. I had saw an older gentleman catch a fish and one of his friends helped him get the hook out and then he threw the fish back in the lake. It was either too small or he was only catching and releasing. People can go out and walk on the dam, but people can only fish behind the barriers that are up.

There was a waterfall in the distance from the dam. The mountains around the dam and the lake are breathtaking. There is every shade of green you could imagine. It is almost like being in a fairytale or a nursery rhyme. The signs say "Over the river and through the woods" scenic drive. They are up along the highway. At one point we were over the river and through the woods. I couldn't stop and get a photo because there were too many cars behind us.

We continued along the same route and finally looped around through Sweet Home. Now, Sweet Home does have some charm, but a lot of the buildings along the highway have been closed for some time. We stopped at a Safeway for a quick Starbucks break. Once I saw the Starbucks sign I knew the people in Sweet Home had to be somewhat civilized. We waited and waited and waited while a nice, older woman finished washing the dishes at the Starbucks. We honestly stood there between 5 and 10 minutes before she even noticed us. I was losing hope fast. When she asked me about what kind of syrup I wanted I had a feeling she wasn't up to the standard Starbucks qualifications. In the end we got our drinks and were on our way. The drink was just fine and I needed it because I was starving!

There are many small towns that we passed as we continued the drive. We came upon Lebanon and I honestly was surprised at how large the town was. They have some pretty up to date facilities for their community.

Finally, we headed back to Salem. Lucky for me that the return trip runs right passed Trader Joe's. As luck would have it I needed a few things so I was able to get Mark to stop. They have some delicious sweet potato corn tortilla chips. Mmmmmmmm...if you haven't had them you all need to try them. Well, that would be for those of you who are lucky enough to have a Trader Joe's in your area. I know that counts out all of my friends in Colorado.

I have attached some photos of the drive. It really is a beautiful day here today!








No comments:

Post a Comment