Friday, June 15, 2012

Portland

What fun we had in Portland today. It was the perfect day to go. The weather was sunny, warm and clear. We could see Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helen in the distance.

We left Salem about 7:45 and drove to Wilsonville. We parked at the park and ride and bought our $5 (all day all modes of transport in Portland) and boarded the Trimet. The Trimet left Wilsonville and then stops at several smaller stations before arriving in Beaverton. We had to switch trains in Beaverton and were then on our way to Portland. Let me just say that it is so much more relaxing to go to Portland if you do not have to worry about driving, traffic, parking and all of the one way roads. We got off near the Japanese consulate which was our number one priority this morning. The consulate was actually only a block or two away from our stop. They were just opening up when we arrived so we were the only people there. We had to fill out our visa application and then they took all of our paperwork including our passports. They said that we could return within the next week or so and our visas would be ready. They told us that if we don't hear from them that means everything is fine. If we get a call it is because they have questions or concerns. I am hoping we do not hear from them. The consulate reps were so polite and efficient. I am sure this is a good sign of things to come once I arrive in Japan.

Since we were done so quickly we had the whole day in front of us. We headed down to the riverfront and walked around. There were many people out since it was so sunny and warm. In front of us we saw a ton of geese. They were everywhere. I mean...really everywhere. As I walked by them they were not even phased by me or others who were walking right next to them. When we looked down by the water we saw that there was a whole baby geese nursery. There were two adults who were looking out for them, but otherwise it looked like a little daycare center. Too cute! Mark wasn't as impressed as I was, although he did let me take my "millions of pictures". (One of the pictures shows my headless geese.)

Our next stop was the ariel tram. We had such an amazing panoramic view. It really was a perfect day to go since we could see so clearly. I have several pictures below so you can see what I saw.

Lunch time! Mark and I were both starving so we looked for an Italian restaurant. We found Piazza Italia. It was packed and you could tell that it was good and authentic Italian food. There were people throughout the restaurant who were speaking Italian. The smells and flavors of the food made me feel like I was in Italy if only for a short time. It was one year ago today that Mark and I flew out of DIA headed to Venice. I miss Italy, but I am looking forward to Japan.

While we walked to the Italian restaurant we saw that they were filming something down the road. As we were eating the filming was right outside the restaurant. We could see everything. Well, we found out it is the show "Leverage". I, of course, have never heard of the show. We saw one of the main stars (I have no idea who he is...), but I didn't take his picture since he was eating a sandwich and I didn't know if I was allowed to snap a shot.

If nothing else it was fun to see. One of the local Italians in the restaurant beeped his car alarm on purpose so it would disturb the filming. You had to be there, but it was very funny.

After eating our delicious meal we were stuffed and headed for the train to go home. It was pretty hot while we waiting in Beaverton to catch our connection. We had to wait 40 minutes. 40 minutes without  a bathroom. What is up with that? I went to go into a store but they all had signs posted that said "NO PUBLIC BATHROOMS". Ugghhh...that is crazy. Who has a main connection terminal with no public bathrooms? Let me tell you there were even children who needed a bathroom. Let's hope that the bathrooms are in the plans for the future. Even the  Wilsonville station has bathrooms and it is much smaller. Crazy is all I am saying!

Oh, I almost forgot. You will see some pictures of strange looking heads. These are at all of the larger train stations and they move on a track. They freak me out! The one that is a blue head has a fish in its mouth (just in case you couldn't tell what it was). I personally will have nightmare about these. I had to share them those because they are so bizarre.

We arrived home about 5:00ish. What a great day to be out and about. Now I am going to relax before I get things ready for my drive to Astoria tomorrow.




















Enjoy the photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment