Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A funny thing happened on the way home....

Today was a very productive day. One of my goals today was to get to the ward office to register as an alien. See, when people/students ask you if you believe in aliens you can say, "Yes, I even know one in Japan." My other goals were to get to the bank to open an account, sign up with the internet company, sign up for insurance and get to my new apartment to take photos and measurements. I did accomplish the majority of my goals. The only thing I didn't get to was going to the apartment, but I will be able to do that tomorrow.

When I arrived at school today Ghandali and I went to the ward office with one of the wonderful ladies from our office. We had to sign in and register so that we are legally living in Japan. We will get our official cards in 7-10 days. Once I have my card I will be able to purchase my cell phone. While we were at the ward office I saw a container that had locks around it. Upon closer inspection I found out that it was filled with different people's signature stamps. Let me explain, in Japan everyone has a unique signature stamp made. You wouldn't sign your whole name as we would in the states. I had to create my own stamp symbol but it is not on a stamp. I took a few pictures so you could see them. It is a very unique idea. I am hoping that I might be able to have one created from my own unique symbol.

Once we had our temporary alien card we were able to go to the bank and open our bank accounts. That really didn't take too long. It was nice to have some down time to talk to Ghandali  and learn more about her. In Japan they still use bank books. When you take money out of an ATM you slide your bank book in there and it keeps track of you deposits and withdrawals that you make. Fukuoka and Japan itself is very much a cash society. It is so strange for me to actually carry cash. For those of you who know me you know that in the states I very rarely had cash on me. It seems to go faster when I have it in my wallet.

I returned to school and I then had to sign the official contracts for my apartment. That really didn't take too long, but it is all in Japanese, of course, so we have help with the translations. After that I was able to sign up for my internet/home phone/cable TV. The only bummer is that I can't have it installed/connected until Monday afternoon. I was a little worried that I would feel so lost without having internet to talk to Mark and others. So, we have decided that I will move the majority of stuff to the apartment on Friday, but that I will stay in the hotel until Monday. That way I will have contact with those I need to be in touch with. I feel better knowing that. I wouldn't have any furniture or a refrigerator if I moved in on Friday. Now I feel happy and I know all will work out smoothly.

The other good news is that we are all going to the electronics store tomorrow for appliances. That way I can get the refrigerator and washer purchased and arrange the delivery. On Saturday we are going to Ikea where I am planning (and hoping) that I will find a lot of my stuff so I will have it and then arrange the delivery. My hope is that I can at least get a bed, sofa (futon sleeper), table etc. so that my apartment will feel more like a home. Obviously, it will be impossible for me to get everything done in one trip due to the cost of starting from scratch. I am just going to be happy to have things that I will need to get started and be comfortable.

Oh, I also met with the insurance person because we are all required to buy insurance for ourselves, the apartments, even when we are riding our bikes. I never thought about what happened if I was in an accident and got hurt or if I hurt a pedestrian. I will have coverage beginning on Friday. Here is where the funny thing happened on the way home tonight. After  our school stuff wrapped up Robyn and I decided to got the the 7-11 for some cash and then to eat at the Hawks Shopping Center. I finally had my first Japanese dinner in Japan. I had a noodle soup with veggies, rice and some tempura veggies. It was delicious, but very filling. I only ate about half of it. Of course, eating hot soup style food on such a hot and humid day was not too smart. I think I stopped eating because the food was making me too toasty. Any whooooo, Robyn thought a little sweet snack sounded good so I suggested that we go by Starbucks to see what they had. We both bought a little treat and I also got my cold frap that I like so much. Then I looked to see if they had any Japan or Fukuoka mugs. They did!! Both Robyn and I bought a Fukuoka mug. I have a picture below. They are very pretty. I am sure those of you who are like me and collect them places I have visited would like one. 

Here is the funny thing, but it really isn't hahaha funny because someone did get hurt. OK, so by now it was getting dark and it was my first time out that late to ride my bike home. I know what you all are thinking..."What did you break?".  As we were riding home we kept hitting the curbs that had big bumps. Not only are they painful to my bottom, but all of the stuff in my basket kept bouncing around. So, I hit a big bump and my Starbucks bag flew out of my basket. I screamed and Robyn stopped. I jumped off of my bike to get my bag and a little old lady had picked it up and was bringing it towards me. I put my stand down to park my bike so I could get it from her. Well, when I did that and started to go to her my bike began to fall. Now in the basket I still had my purse and my camera. She was very sweet and came over and handed it to me. She probably thought I was crazy. Robyn and I were laughing because it was just so funny that that would happen. I wasn't sure if I had broken my new mug or not. As we continued on Robyn realized that all of the other people on their bikes had their lights on. She looked down to see if she could turn her light on and she lost control and steered right into a concrete wall. She hit hard. She tore her jeans, skinned up her knee and scrapped her new bike up. It was terrible. I was so worried that she was hurt more than she was saying. Luckily for her it wasn't too bad. We couldn't believe it. When we arrived back at the hotel we assessed the damage. Her knee was scrapped up but nothing too big or too deep. She really lucked out. I also lucked out...my Starbucks mug didn't break. I could not believe it. Thinking back I am so happy that they wrapped it in some wrap. My drink however did not make it. It went flying everywhere and I lost the lid and straw somewhere. Crazy.

Now I am all cleaned up and ready to read and relax. Tomorrow I have to be at school at 10:00-11:00 to do one more thing with the contract for the apartments. Then Ghandali is going to come to my apartment with me to help me measure for curtains, appliances, and furniture. Then we head back to school to go to the electronic/appliance store at 2:00. I am looking forward to seeing my apartment and getting photos. You all have to wait one more day, but it will be worth it.

I am off to relax.

Signature stamps.

My Starbucks Fukuoka mug.

Robyn in front of the Fukuoka Tower. (A little too shady.)

Robyn on her bike.

The signature stamps in the holder (all locked up).

Very close up view of the stamps.

No comments:

Post a Comment