Saturday, August 4, 2012

I am in Japan!


Fukuoka, Japan

    Well, I really am here living in Japan. It is such a change from the states. That is not good or bad, just different. I am going to have to learn how to read the Japanese characters so I will know what things are at stores and restaurants.

    I left Seattle on Tuesday, July 31st. My flight was scheduled to leave at 2:15 PM. Mark and I got up at the hotel and got everything ready. We decided to go to the airport early so we can eat together. When we got to the airport we had to wait about 30 minutes until Korean Air opened their ticket window. Once it was opened we went and checked in and paid for my extra bag. I was allowed two bags for free, but I had a third bag so I had to pay the fee. Afterwards, Mark and I went to see where we could eat together. The security area was right next to the ticket window so we went that way. There was no place that we could see where we could eat. I had Mark leave so that he could go and get breakfast some place before driving back to Salem. I went ahead and got in the security line because it was very crowded. Fifty-five minutes later I was finally through security. I guess it was a good thing that I decided to go in early. I went to see what was around to eat. There really wasn't much to I thought I would go to my gate and see what was around the area. I had to take the train around to the “S” gates. Once there I saw the duty free shop. I really love walking through the duty free shop even if I am not planning on buying anything. I did, of course, end up buying a few things. Some Clinic lipgloss (a set with 10 mini colors) and an Este Lauder lipstick. Then I figured that I really should eat something. Man oh-man was I bummed that I didn't take more time in the main terminal area. There was only a burger place, a sit down seafood restaurant and then a ramen place. I do love ramen, but I knew I would be eating it a lot once in Japan. Hunger got the best of me and I ordered the vegetarian ramen bowl. It was delicious! After lunch I made a few calls to say goodbye to some friends and family. Then I was off to board the plane.

   The airplane was full and it was not an exceptionally roomy plane. I was, of course, in the window seat. I would have preferred the aisle seat so that I can get up and down as needed without bothering anyone. Luckily for me I was sitting by nice people. The guy in the middle was a young man who was on his way to Malaysia. The young woman on the end was on her way to spend two weeks with her husband who is stationed in Seoul. She had not seen him for many months. We all talked for awhile. I love being able to watch movies on the international flights. I watched The Five Year Engagement. It was OK. I would not say it was great by any means. I was hoping to watch another movie, but I decided to take a short nap. The flight was fine. It was hard to sleep because it was daylight for the entire flight to Seoul. Once in Seoul I had to change planes. I had about a 45 minute layover. I prefer to have a layover instead of trying to rush to make a quick flight. Once in Seoul I could tell how warm and humid it was. I was already sweating in the airport. That couldn't be a good sign. We were off and I arrived in Fukuoka about 8:00 PM on August 1st

   Going through the customs area I had to fill out a couple of forms. All foreigners have to fill in an ID form. Once you have done that you go through an area to have them take a photo, register you fingerprints (for two fingers) and then have your passport checked and stamped. After that I went into the actual customs area. All I had to do was get my bags and then hand my paperwork to the lady on duty. She didn't even have me open my bags. I must say it was a very easy and painless process. 

    I left the customs area where I saw the director of my school, Diane, and Kurt the business manager. They helped me with my bags and then drove me to my hotel. On the way to the hotel I saw fireworks and was told that there is a fireworks competition on August 1st each year. The hotel was very large. I am in Tower 2 of the hotel. My room is on the 11th floor (room 2113). You have to use your key to get into the elevator area. That made me feel glad that the hotel had so much security so no one could just happen upon your room. When we arrived at the room I opened the door. It was very dark and I was trying to find the switch. When I got the light on I realized that I was in a narrow hallway. There were cabinets close two the door and then I saw three doors. I couldn't figure out what they were all for. I went straight which was the door to the main room. There was a bed, TV area, a sofa and table. On the table was a very large basket of fruit from the school. (Yum!) I found out from Diane and Kurt that one of the other doors led to the kitchenette area and the last door went to the bathroom. Once I was settled in my room Diane and Kurt left. 

   I was now in Japan. I was roasting in my room and was looking everywhere for the air condition switch. I knew there had to be one. I couldn't find it anywhere. I kept thinking that maybe I was just hot from traveling and then getting in the hotel. I went to rinse off in a cold shower so I could cool down. Now, that was an interesting thing. I could not for the life of me figure out how to get the shower on. Ugghhhh...there had to be a way. I decided just to sit in the tub and fill it with cold water. The tub in shorter and deeper than the tubs in the states. I would figure out the shower later. The cold water felt so good. I finally was cooling down. Getting out of the tub was interesting. Not a pretty sight I am sure. Once out I went back into the main part of the hotel room. I was still hot. I decided I would try to sleep. I began to feel a little cooler, or did I. I couldn't tell. I was really, really trying to stay optimistic. I awoke about 1:00 in the morning just sweating to death. I couldn't tell what was going on. I kept thinking that maybe I was sick. It was going to be a long night. The next time I woke up it was 3:30 in the morning and I was up for the day! 

   One good thing with a new day is you get to start off with a clean slate. Since I couldn't find anything on the TV to watch I went to mess with the radio. I turned a knob on the radio panel and low and behold.....my air conditioner turned on. Yep, the switch was right in front of me, but how would I have known that? Now I was a very happy person!!!

  I had to meet Kumi ( a woman from the school) at 9:30 down in the lobby. I was up and ready and trying to figure out the internet in my room. I finally found the cable in the drawer and was connected to the world. Thank goodness. :-) I went down to meet Kumi and my day was off and running.

   Kumi took me to a real estate office where a young man was going to take me to look at two apartments/houses. Kumi let me know that this man did not know any English. Gulp...this should be interesting is all I thought. He was very nice and drove to the first place. I couldn't believe how long it took us to drive there. I knew it had to be way too far from the school if it took long to drive there. It was a huge complex. I mean huge. It was right next to the freeway. The apartment itself was very nice. Larger rooms and done really well. The toilets are always by themselves in a room that may or may not be right next to the bathroom. The apartments are very broken up with little rooms here and there. It is not a bad thing, just different. For an apartment in Japan I felt that it was very roomy, but I knew it was not on my “to consider list” since it was sooooooooooooo far away from the school.  The next place he took me to was a house. The house appeared to be made out of corrugated metal. I was not looking forward to seeing the inside of the house because the house looked very tall and narrow. I go inside and  right off the bat I am blasted by the heat and humidity in the house. Yikes! I go in and see that there is a teeny tiny room to the left of the door. Across from that on the right (under the stairs) was the toilet. Yes, the toilet was in a room too short to even stand up in. I kept going and realized the stairs were very steep. I got to the second level and saw a tiny kitchen and an even tinier living room (I think that is what it was supposed to be). Then I continued to the third floor. There was one bedroom. Yes, one bedroom. There was also a ladder going up to a little loft. There is NO WAY that anyone in their right mind would climb up to a small ladder. I of course, am in my right mind and did not climb up. Now, let me add a few details. First, the stair were wooden and very steep. There was no railing on the stairs so myself, Mark or the cats could tumble down without any warning. Finally, the toilet was on the 1st floor and the bedroom was on the 3rd floor. Do you see where I am going with this? Yes, if you have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night you have to go all the way to the first floor. Another place crossed off of my mental list.

   Once we looked at the house the realtor took me back to the school. Once there Kumi had me meet Max, a very nice realtor, who would be taking me to look at three places. Max is a very funny man. He spoke English and had a funny sense of humor. He taught himself to speak English when he backpacked through Australia by himself for a year. The first place Max took me was in the center of the city. Now, I do not mean the center of Fukuoka because it isn't like there is one center. It is in the city area about 15-20 minutes away from the school by bike. We went up to the apartment and I couldn't believe how nice it was. It was a brand new apartment. Te building had been built within the last year. It had a very open living space and was very nice. The only thing about it was that it was right in the middle of an area that would be noisy on the weekends. I decided to keep it on the list because it was the first nice place I had seen since I began looking. I knew that this would be one place I could live and be comfortable. The next place Max took me to see was the penthouse of a four story building. Wow, it was very roomy with large rooms. Even in the states it would have been considered large. The major downfall......no elevator. After living in Oregon for the summer on the third floor with no elevator I learned how hard it is to haul groceries and furniture up the stairs. I would keep it on the list, but it wasn't m first choice. As we were heading to the last place Max was to show me he had a call and  found out that another teacher also wanted to see the third place. She has a dog so she has to look at pet friendly places. We picked her up and set off. It was a little closer to the school. This was a small house that had two stories. There was only one small room and a kitchen downstairs and then upstairs there was one more room. The stairs were very, very steep. I went up and then headed down. I knew that I could never live there because I am too clumsy. (I know you all were thinking that.) Once we finished looking at the house Max said he would show us some stores. He gave us a little tour and then took us to a store that sells used items that are in good shape. We went in just to see the prices of some items to compare with new items. It was funny, when we walked in I just wanted to browse because  I didn't have an apartment so I wasn't sure of what I would need. That is when I saw the most wonderful things....a clothes steamer. A brand new Conair clothes steamer. I told Max that I had to buy I right away. I was so happy. As you can probably imagine it is hard to live out of a suitcase. Everything is always wrinkled and there is NO iron in the hotel rooms. It's funny how happy this steamer made me. Max took us back to the hotel. It was time to relax and cool off for the day. The heat really zaps your energy. I think I was lucky if I stayed awake until 9:00 PM that evening.

   The next morning I got up and was heading out to walk to school. When I was headed out Kumi was there to pick up a few teachers so I decided to ride along. It save me walking in the extreme heat. I got to school and found out that another person would be there to take me to see one apartment. I had already Skyped with Mark and decided I would be taking the new apartment, even though I wasn't sure of the area. Well, when I saw the apartment I was shown I was in love. It didn't have the open plan that the new apartment had, but the view was to die for. It is on the 16th floor of a 24 story building. In the corner of the room were floor to ceiling windows with a view of the mountains and the ocean. It was breathtaking. I knew that this was the apartment that I wanted to live. I went back to school an I had to fill out an application for the apartment. I also had to work the numbers to see if I would be able to come up with the money that is needed to move in. In Japan it is not like in the states where you only pay first and last months rent. You have to pay what is called “key money”. Sometimes it is 2 months rent and sometimes it is more. This apartment wanted 4 months key money plus the first month rent as well as a new key fee to change the locks plus money for two years insurance. It just kept adding up and adding up. Once in the apartment I knew it would not be a problem paying the rent, it was just getting in the place. We finally got everything turned in and agreed to 3 months of key money plus the other fees. Much better. Kumi had to wait for the building company to OK the application and the fees. I wouldn't know anything until the following day or even until Monday. 

   This morning (Saturday) Kumi came and took a bunch of us teachers to look for furniture for the apartments. I still had not heard anything about the place I wanted. Later when Kumi came back to the store she told me that she heard from our realtor that is was about 90% set, but the company had to decide their final deal. So, now I in my room typing my blog wondering if I will get the apartment that I REALLY want. If I do not then I will complete an application for the new apartment. I am crossing my fingers and hoping it will turn out the way I want. Everything happens for a reason and I know I will end up where I am meant to be. I just want to know soon because there is so much to get done before I can move in. Time is ticking (tick tock) and I want to continue moving forward. I will keep you all posted. Either way I will be happy....the view would make me a lot happier. :-)

   More to come later.....


Air condition switch (enlarged photo).

Bathroom (washing machine next to sink).

Shower and tub area. (You don't shower in the tub, you shower in the rest of the room.)

Hallway looking towards the main bedroom area.

The hallway looking down towards the door.

The kitchen area.

A machine where you order and pay for your food at a food court. The let you know when they are finished making your meal.

Robin's lunch. It is filled with meat.

My lunch, a rice omelet. It is interesting. No, I didn't eat the ketchup that was on it.

Shower and tub again.

Shower control. Yes, I would like to see you figure it out the first time.

Slippers to put on when you walk in the room and take off your shoes.

Some spray that is on the nightstand. I don't know exactly what it is.

My wonderful new steamer.

The toilet.

All of the bells and whistles on the toilet. (It is interesting to find out what they all do.)

The tub.

The view from my window. You can see the Yahoo dome in the distance.
Radio panel with the air conditioner switch.

View from my room.





No comments:

Post a Comment