Sunday, August 5, 2012

ATM, Shopping, Starbucks and a movie


   Well, today was a really good day. I felt like I was finally feeling like this was where I would be living, and that I would fit in. This morning, Robin (another new teacher at FIS) and I had a mission. Our mission was to find an ATM that would take our bank cards. We decided to try the Hilton near our hotel since Hiltons are avery international. We walked over and found that there was a lot going on near the Hilton. The hotel is located next to the Fukuoka Yahoo Dome where the Sea Hawks baseball team plays. There was a game today so there were many people in the hotel and the shopping area next to the dome.

We searched and searched for an ATM machine but no luck. We decided to ask the concierge if there was a machine nearby. You won't believe what she told us. She gave us a map and highlighted directions for us to follow near the hotel to a 7-11. Yes, you heard me correctly....a 7-11. It seems that only the 7-11 stores have ATMs that service different cards. We quickly followed the map and found the ATM. It was true that our cards worked. We were so happy that you would have thought we won the lottery. It is hard to get by knowing you can't get cash. Now we know that we can just cruise on over to 7-11 and access our state side accounts.

Once we had our cash in hand we decided to explore a shopping area that was next to the Yahoo Dome. It is a nice sized shopping area. There are many restaurants, shops and a movie theater. We walked around the shops for a bit and we were both able to purchase a hat that was on sale. Let me tell you, you need a hat if you are going to live here. The sun can be very intense. We were both starved so we began to look at all the different restaurants. Our saving grace is that the restaurants all have wax samples of their meals out in display windows. The restaurants were packed since the baseball game was going to begin in the afternoon. We found a restaurant that seemed to be popular with the locals. I honestly can't remember the name right now. It was something “_________ Bread”. We put our name on the list and waited. I think our wait was about 15 minutes. Not too bad. It was funny because everyone was putting their name on the list in Japanese and then I wrote Mindi. We wanted to see what was going to happen when they came to my name. Normally the person was calling out the names in Japanese. We kept watching and knew that we were next. The sweet, older Japanese gentleman looked at us and motioned for us to come on in. The restaurant was nice and cool. You have to love air conditioned buildings on a steamy day. Now, if I were you I would be wondering how we were able to order our food since we do not speak any Japanese. Both Robin and I decided what we were going to have based on the photos in the menu. We didn't even have to work hard to order lunch. We both only had water to drink since there were no pictures of beverages. The food was delicious. We both had pasta dishes. Mine was like an angel hair pasta with roasted garlic and tomatoes. Delicious!! I also ordered a salad for some fresh veggies. The waiter had brought our check to us while we were eating. We didn't know if we were suppose to tip the waiter or not. It was funny, as people were leaving the restaurant we would watch to see if they were tipping. No one was. I wasn't sure if this meant that no one tips or what. After finishing our meal we took our check to the register and paid. I asked the man if he spoke English? He said “little” so I went on to ask him if we tip the waiter. He, of course, did not understand. We said thanks and were on our way. Tomorrow when we go to school we will ask if we are suppose to tip when we eat out. I am still a work in progress learning about what we need to do here. Each day I learn a little more.

Once we left the restaurant we decided to walk around the mall and see what all was there. Great news!!!! There is a Starbucks. I was so excited. I knew there were Starbucks in Fukuoka; I just had not been to one yet. Since I had just eaten I did not need a frap. Robin and I were feeling good about ourselves by this point. We had found an ATM to get money, we had both bought hats (and they were on sale), and we were able to order our lunches. Robin suggested that we see what movies were playing and if they were subtitles or dubbed. We went up and looked around and knew that we would not be able to figure it out on our own. Everything was in Japanese, which of course we were expecting. We decided to see if anyone selling tickets spoke any English. A young man was fixing something by the entrance so we asked him if he spoke English. Guess what? Yes, you are right...he did speak English. He took us to the schedule which comes out for the current week and the following week. There are usually one to two movies that are in English. What a day, what a day. It was looking like we were going to be able to escape for a few hours and watch a movie. The only movie out was The Dark Night Rises. Now, to be honest, I wasn't anxious to see the movie because it just makes me think of the horrible shootings in Colorado. We had about two hours before the movie began so we continued to walk through the mall and shop. The stores have very nice things. There are such cute shoes, clothing, socks and hair accessories for little girls. Very cute indeed. There is a drug store, a grocery store and much more. We did just fine passing the time. We headed up to the theater when it was near the scheduled time. OK, I need to tell you something that was new for me to experience. When you purchase your tickets here in Fukuoka you get assigned seats. You are able to pick any seat that is not already purchased. This makes so much sense to me. Then you do not have to rush worried that you can't find a seat. Even if you arrived late to the movie you are guaranteed your seat. Very efficient.

Once the movie was finished we headed out to hit Starbucks before heading back to the hotel. It was interesting ordering my drink, but then the boy handed me a card that had pictures and words in English. The bummer was that they do not accept the Starbucks cards from the states. I have a gold card and I always have it loaded with money. I will have to see about getting one here if they have a similar card. I ordered a carmel frap. I just didn't know how to order my specific drink: Grande soy caramel frap no whip. So, as you probably already figured out I had a standard one with regular milk and whip. A little too rich for my blood, but while I was drinking it I felt so at home.

I also need to tell you that while we were leaving the theater I thought it smelled like it had been raining. It not only had been raining it was still raining. There was a cool breeze and it felt very nice out. This was the sign that I needed to know that I would love it here. All I have to do is survive the hottest month and then it will only get better. As we walked back home (to the hotel) it continued to rain.

Oh, before I forget I have to tell you all something that was so sad. As we walked home from the area all of the cars were leaving from the baseball game. All of a sudden we heard a very loud “CRASH”. We looked over and a woman had slammed in to the sidewalk and some concrete dividers. It was so sad. No one did anything. Everyone just stopped. Even the woman didn't get out of the car. We didn't know if she was hurt or what. Finally, she tried to back up and move out of the way, but the whole front was hanging off of her car. She got out and went to the sidewalk to call someone. I felt so sad for her. I do not think she was hurt too badly if at all, but her car was very hurt. This has been the first accident I have seen since being here. Poor lady. Everyone needs to send positive thoughts her way.

Now I am in my hotel where I am watching the rain. It is cloudy with the sun setting. Very pretty. This is one of the first times I am able to have my curtains opened in the afternoon/early evening. Usually it is too sunny and hot. From my window I can see the Hilton and the Yahoo Dome. I can see the lights on the elevators moving up and down the hotel.

I am including some photos from today. You will see a strange statue that is the Sea Hawk with a woman either jumping on it or hugging it. Very interesting. Enjoy the photos. It is very nice here. Hopefully some of you will take the opportunity to visit while I am here. I won't have a huge apartment, but I will have a room for company. I will write more tomorrow.

The sidewalk that we took to the Hilton. You can see a group of boys on their bicycles. Everyone bicycles around the city.

A walkway bridge over the river. Very pretty view of the area.

The Hard Rock Cafe near the Yahoo Dome.

The Hilton Hotel. The lower glass area holds a huge atrium area with restaurants and shops.

The Hilton Hotel and the Yahoo Dome.

My hotel is in the background.

A performing monkey at the mall entertaining the children.

Robin posing like the Sea Hawk statue.

Robin

The shopping area looking towards the Yahoo Dome.

Sew Hawk statue (very interesting).

The shopping mall (taken from a bridge).

Yes, the Yahoo Dome.

No comments:

Post a Comment