Thursday, August 9, 2012

A peek into the apartment

Today started off with me signing all of the rest of my paperwork for the apartment. Now remember, I have already had the keys. As of today it was official that everything was done and turned in. Once I had completed this task Ghandali and I rode our bikes for the first time to my apartment. Ghandali was so sweet to come along and help me take the measurements for all the areas in the place. We measured for furniture, appliances, curtains and miscellaneous things. It felt so good to be able to get inside and really look at the place. It is just as breathtaking as I remember it to be. With the windows open there is a very nice cross breeze. Of course, we would only have the windows open while we were home. The main living room area does have an air conditioner so even if we have it all closed up it should still stay nice and cool. I just can't wait to have things delivered so I can live there full time. 

On the way to the apartment Ghandali and I struggled up a nice uphill climb. Those of you who know me should know that I am not very experienced on a bike. I made it and we decided once we found the apartment building we would see if there was a better (easier) route to take. It took us a few minutes to get to the building because I had never gone there by myself. The only time I had been there was with the realtor. We had to double back a little, but we found it. When you enter the main door to the building there is another glass door with a key pad and a place to enter a key. I have to go in with the key, otherwise, if you were visiting me you would buzz up to my apartment. At that point I would be able to see you on the monitor and I would allow you to come up. The apartment building has good security in place. The front door to the apartment has two locks (the same key opens both locks). No hoodlums could come up on their own.

I am sure many of you keep wondering why I keep saying "my apartment" when it is for both Mark and myself. Since he does not arrive until the evening of the 17th I just say "my apartment". Once he is here and living in Japan I will say "our apartment". If you weren't really wondering then you just got some extra information.

Ghandali and I went through the apartment and opened all of the windows so we would not roast. It is stuffy and there is no power in the apartment. That will all be good to go on Monday when I move in for good. I am really looking forward to sitting in the apartment and watching the sun as it sets.  We finished measuring everything and headed back to school.

We met the other teachers to head to the electronic/appliance store. Kumi is helping us get around to the big places so she can assist in setting up the delivery of items. Today I purchased a refrigerator, a microwave/convection oven, a vacuum, a small fan and a power strip cord. The washer/dryer until that was the least expensive was out of stock. That was disappointing because both Ghandali and I were going to purchase the same one. Now we will have to go to the other BEST store (yes that is the name  of the store) to see what they have. There is a huge jump in price for the washer/dryer. I just want one that will last and do the job. I did feel better knowing that on Tuesday I would have a fridge so that I will be able to have food at home. It is hard always eating out and eating in the hotel room with the food I buy. I will be so happy to be able to make my own salads and stuff.

By this point we were all starving and ready for dinner (since we had skipped lunch). Robyn, Ghandali and myself all headed off on our bikes to "Fresh Burger". They have vegetarian patties as well as meat for those who eat it. The food was really good. I had a little avocado salad and then my burger. This is a place that I will definitely go back to. Yum! Next to the burger place is a store that has everything. Robyn and I walked through it even though we will need more time to really see what all they have. I saw some pretty interesting things there. A couple of things I think Ellen would like to share on her talk show. She likes to see the strange items from all over. Next time I go I will have to take a few photos.

We came back to the hotel and then I decided I needed to do a little laundry. I still need to rewrite my measurements so I will be prepared for Ikea on Saturday. I have some items that are a must that day. I hope I can find what I am looking for.

I have to tell you all that  Mark is very, very afraid of heights. He is a little worried living on the 16th floor of the building. I actually saw the apartment and thought how much Mark would love the view. I wasn't really thinking of the height of everything. I am hoping that he will overcome some of his fear so that he will like the apartment. The good thing is that we will have curtains and the sofa will not be by the windows.

I have posted a bunch of photos. Some are a little dark since there were no lights for me to turn on. The next time I post photos of the place will be once I have it more furnished. I hope you all enjoy the photos. I can't wait to live in the apartment!!!!!

View from balcony near the kitchen.

Looking into the main living room from near the front door area.

View from the front living room area.

View from the main bedroom.

Another view from the apartment.

Close up view of the marina area from the front window area.

View from another window.

Kitchen area (stove, dishwasher and large sink)

Main bedroom.

Looking towards the kitchen and hallway from the main living area.

Ghandali near the windows in the main living area.

View from the guest room.

Guest bedroom.

My closet in the guest room. (heehee)

Area where the refrigerator will go.


2 comments:

  1. Love your new place and all the windows which is really important to me! How far away are those mtns? I am so happy for you MIndi!

    ReplyDelete