Thursday, August 23, 2012

The first day with students

Well, today is what it has all been about. Mark and I (and the kitties) moving to Japan to teach overseas. We had our first day with students and it was a very nice day. Our school is much smaller than any school that I have worked at in years. I do like the small size. Everything seems so calm and peaceful, but that just might have been me. I really didn't have any classes today...I just went to a few classrooms to see the students in the class and then I prepared everything to begin testing tomorrow. I am helping the K-5 teachers out by doing the DIBELS, Dolch words and CORE phonics. Hopefully we will be able to use the results from the assessments. I am sure that I will be testing for the majority of next week. Then I will hopefully get to start going into rooms and pulling students.

My required school time at school is 8:00-4:30 everyday. After school there was a big storm brewing. We had had a huge thunderstorm with such loud thunder. Mark, Robyn and I went to find the Freshness Burger after work. I was starving and a burger sounded heavenly. No, I have not started to eat meat. I love their bean patty that they serve. It was funny because we walked to one subway station to catch a ride to the next stop which is where the burger place is located. When we came up from the station we did not see the restaurant. We kept walking around and when we were almost ready to give up I saw it. There are several exits at the station we were at and we happened to walk out the one that was not close to the restaurant. We now know we have to go up the #1 (yellow) exit area. We all enjoyed a delicious meal, especially me since it was something I knew I could eat. Many places we go to I order something and since we can't read Japanese it often has meat in it when it gets served. Then of course I don't eat it.

Tomorrow all of the school faculty has a big welcome back dinner. Mark and I are looking forward to seeing what is served there. I am not the only one at the school who doesn't eat meat. I am glad I am not alone. I will let you know how the dinner is once I get home.

Not much else going to today. More to come this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment