Monday, August 27, 2012

Weekend Fun


Weekend fun........

Friday after school we had our Back to School dinner. The school arranged for a public bus to come and pick us all up to take us to the restaurant. The bus was crammed full...standing room only. Luckily for me and Mark we got in early and had a seat. It took at least an hour to get to the restaurant from the school. We kept driving and driving and driving. Soon we were going past rice fields and heading toward the mountains (tall hills??). The restaurant was a very traditional Japanese restaurant. It was set up for the staff. It was opened up on one side where we could sit inside or outside. We grabbed a table that was inside, but right next to the open area. There was a huge buffet with traditional Japanese food along with salad, soups, and even Italian food. There were many dishes with fish and other types of meat. I will be honest...I was starving!! I headed for the Italian food. They had different pastas with veggies and a cream sauce, pasta with other veggies and potatoes in sauce. I also did try some little sweet potato things. I don't know what they were called but they were delicious. Mark was more open to trying things that he did not know what was in it. Due to me not eating meat I wanted to make sure I knew what I was eating. I was so happy to have a meal where I could eat and fill full afterwards. The dinner was for two hours. One the time was up the bus came to pick us up and take us back to school. Once we got back to school Mark and I walked to the subway station near the school to head to the subway station across from our apartment. I am really enjoying the convenience of the subway station. Since Mark did not have a bike at this time it was easier to take the subway with him. Once we got home we were able to relax. My goal for Saturday morning was to sleep in until 6:00ish.

On Saturday we both slept in until about 6:40. I couldn't believe it. I actually felt rested. It was the first time I slept through the night and was able to sleep in once the sun was up. What a great way to start the weekend. Mark and I had made plans with our friend, Robyn. We were going to walk down to the Marinoa outlet area. Robyn took the subway to our house and then we headed out. The walk is not bad at all to get to the Marinoa shopping outlets. It would have even been better had it not have been so sunny and hot. I am still waiting for the weather to cool down. You will know when that happens because I will be shouting it from the roof tops!

There is a bridge that we have to walk over. Let me tell you it is steep. I have even ridden my bike over it, but I have never made it all the way to the top still on my bike. Each time I am getting closer to the top I come to a complete stand still. I have to get off of my bike and walk it to the top and then ride down. Walking it is a workout for the calves and thighs. The view is amazing from the bridge. I can see the Hakata Bay. There are many boats that are docked at the marina near the outlet area. I saw a couple of fishing boats while I was taking photos. The water was so blue. It looked very refreshing. I was almost tempted to jump in.

I was looking forward to looking around at the shops, and for Mark to find a bike. We were headed to the sports store first. Nitori (the Japanese Ikea) is located at this outlet mall, too. Mark and I went to the sports store while Robyn hit Nitori. We were in luck because Mark was able to find a bike that he liked. It is different from mine since Mark likes to ride for distance and pleasure. I ride for transportation and my bike only has one gear. Mark's new bike has 21 gears. Once he had the bike being prepared he came and met us girls. We were off to look for a place to eat. I really wanted to go up in the Sky Wheel, but I was out numbered. Remember that I told you it was very hot and sunny. Well, the little capsules you go up in are not air conditioned. They only have a few holes in it to get air. I was told we would go soon once it cools off. So, no photos with a view from above.

He view from the Marinoa area is beautiful. I got a good shot with the Fukuoka Tower and the Yahoo! Dome. Very nice if I do say so myself.
We went to look at the restaurants. One thing that is soooo nice is that they have wax models of the different items on the menu. Fukuoka is very well know for having the best, most real life looking food displays. I have some photos of the food. It really does look real. One day I may go and try to make my own. They have a place where you learn to make something. If and when I go you will be the first I share it with. Promise!

We decided on a restaurant that served tempura veggies and some shrimp. It was a small restaurant, but it had a crowd. We ended up waiting about 10-15 minutes to get a table. The food was delicious and so light. It isn't like the tempura you get in the states that is soaked with grease. It really is light and not greasy. I love the squash when they prepare it. We actually all had the same lunch with the exception of mine. I have double the veggies. The photo with the big fish on it is the sign above the restaurant.

Once we ate we all went to walk around and see what stores are there. I would really ask what stores are not there. They have a Krispy Kreme, Baskin Robbins, Babies R Us, Coach, Starbucks, and so many other stores. The shopping areas are so nice and roomy. Still, when the cooler temps hit it will be more enjoyable to shop. Mark reached his saturation point so he headed off to pick up his bike and to head home. Robyn and I wanted to walk around a little more to see what all was there. Once we were tired of walking around we began to walk to another shopping area called the Marina Shopping Mall. There are a bunch of stores including an imported food store, a large and nice grocery store, some clothing stores, kids stores (no they don't sell kids...they sell stuff for kids), and a food court area. You might think the food court area would only serve Japanese food, but you would be wrong. There is a Subway, a Mexican restaurant, and a Golden Spoon frozen yogurt place. So much under one roof. I was dying for a frozen yogurt, but I didn't have one. Maybe next weekend.

Robyn and I bought a bunch of things and then found a taxi to get us back home with our groceries. I didn't buy that many groceries because I knew that Mark and I were going to go on Sunday to get our groceries. It had been a good day. The heat wears us down. It was nice to come home and relax. That evening I had a delivery. I finally got my registration card that shows I am here legally. See, I am a legal alien now. Woo hoo!!

Mark and I were not as lucky on Sunday morning. We both woke up a little after 6:00 AM. I had hoped to sleep in late again. Once we were up and dressed we headed out to the Marina shopping center that I had gone to on Saturday. Mark had never been there. We walked and it only took about 10 minutes to get there. I brought my rolling cart with me to get the groceries home in. We went through the whole mall. We bought some good food items to try and cook. I even found tortillas and chilies. We went to Subway and ordered a 6” sub to go. I had the veggie delight and here they actually make it better than in the states. It had avocado on it and many veggies. Yum!!!!

Once home we put everything away. Robyn and I had hair appointments in Tenjin. We hit the subway and made it to our appointment just five minutes late. We called ahead to let the guy know. He said no worries. Robyn had her hair cut and styled while I was getting my color to cook (that is what I call the process). Man oh man did my hair get cooked. Robyn was done so she went out to find a nail place. She has been wanting to get her nails done for a couple of weeks. While I was getting my hair done I had to be patient. They put one color on all of my roots and then when that was done they put another color on all of my roots and then they did highlights. I was wondering if I would have any hair left with all the chemicals that had been on it. It looks nice, but I will be honest and say that I like it a little darker. I hope it last for more than the four weeks that it normally last. This guy was expensive. I am sure it is the going rate here, but I haven't paid that much in years. I was even 1,000 yen short. Luckily Robyn had come back by then. She saved me. We went to the Apple store to look into a cable so I could watch shows from my computer on my TV. I found a person who is from the states who works in Japan. He told me that my best deal would be to get the Apple TV. I had forgotten all about that. I was thrilled when I bought it and knew Mark would be happy to see it. It was getting late though and I wanted to get home. It had taken from 3:15-6:15 for my hair. Yes, three hours. You would never know it was a 3 hour job. Crazy.

Once we were done we headed home on the subway. I love having a subway so close. It is such a great thing. Too bad all of the states in the US don't have one.

That is all of the adventures from the weekend. Oh, one more thing. There has been some typhoon activity around here. Not “right” here, but in the area heading to South Korea. We did have a very windy day today. Okinawa was hit and I think there was a death there. I don't want one here, but it was so nice to have a cloudy and windy day.

Some of the photos I took this morning when there was a very intense partial rainbow. It was very colorful and dark. I also have a photos of my kitties.

More to come this week.
























No comments:

Post a Comment