Sunday, August 12, 2012

Last day in the hotel


  Today was the last day I would be living in the hotel. I had a lot to get done before moving tomorrow. I can't believe that tonight is my last night in the hotel and when I leave tomorrow I will be moving into my apartment.

Gandhali and I had planned to go to the Nitori that is close to my house. It is smaller than the other Nitori that I had been to. My goal was to get a sofa and/or sofa sleeper. I found a lot of things that I needed for the apartment. It is really hard to decide what are the things you need the most when you first move into a place. Normally when people are moving into an apartment they have some things that they would need. I was starting with an empty apartment and a settling in allowance. After today I am pretty sure I have spent all of it.

When we went to leave the hotel to meet our friend, Robyn, who was going with us we realized that it was pouring down rain. We all figured it would blow over rather quickly. No such luck. You would think that I would be following the weather. Silly me, I haven't been checking at all. (Although I have now looked at the next 10 days of weather.) We finally decided just to pay a taxi driver to take us to the shopping area so we wouldn't have to waste any more time waiting for the rain to stop. The shopping area, which we had never been to, is located very close to my apartment. It is right on the water and there is a marina next to the shops. It is so beautiful there.

We went to Nitori first to see what all we could find. I found many things, but no sofa or sofa bed. I decided that I needed to get a nice futon for our company in case I could not find a sofa/bed combo. I bought sheets and a pillow case for the futon. It is kind of like a tempurpedic mattress, but only in a single double size. I think it will be pretty comfortable. I am still on the look out for a sofa/bed for the guest room. I didn't have much luck on the drapes. I need longer sizes than the stores carry so I have to order them and it will take some time. I am thinking that I may hit Ikea again on Tuesday to take a double look at what they had. I was so rushed the last time that I just need to go by bus so I can take my time. I do know that I will not get everything 100% by the time Mark, Mel and the cats arrive. I can live with what I have being delivered in the next couple of days. Tomorrow is by biggest delivery. I have Nitori, Ikea and the cable/internet person coming. On Tuesday I have Best Denki delivering a bunch of things including my refrigerator, TV, vacuum, a fan and the washer/dryer. Wow! I will be busy unpacking the big stuff. I have too many things being delivered from the other places to list. What I can tell you is that you need to stay tuned for the photos later this week.

Once we finished for the day at Nitori we decided to grab lunch so once again we would not be skipping our meal. We were both so hot and sweaty that nothing really sounded good. Then we saw a Krispy Kreme donut shop. If you know me then you know that I rarely eat a donut. We both got a couple of donuts and felt much better. They are so much better when they are fresh, fresh, fresh. It was time to move on to our next store. We both needed to get a washer/dryer unit. The plan was to catch a cab to take us to the Best Denki outlet store. By now the rain had stopped and it was so humid we were both just a sweaty sticky mess. Not a fun way to be. We kept thinking as we walked that we would see a taxi and jump on. Nope, no taxi. We decided just to try to walk to the store. We FINALLY made it there about 35-40 minutes later. At this time we were still feeling pretty good. We moved quickly picking out our washer/dryer and my TV. I felt good knowing that they would be delivered on Tuesday.

Now it was time to get to the other Nitori store. Gandhali remember that it was not too far from the Best Denki store. We began to walk and walk and walk. Something did not seem right so we found a woman to help us. Remember that we do not speak Japanese yet, but luckily they are so willing to help. I had the address written in Japanese so that made it a little easier. If you are wondering how I had it written Japanese I had to have some one at the other Nitori write it for me. The woman who was helping us told us it was far, at least 25 minutes. At this point we had already walked so far that what was another 25 minutes? As we walked we once again kept thinking that we were almost there. We finally had to ask another person where the store was located. We were reassured that we were going in the right direction. We continued to walk and walk and walk and walk. More than 30 minutes longer and we were still not there. Ugghhhh..by this time we had walked so far. We were both so hot and sweaty that we didn't know if we were every going to find the store. Once we crossed the big river the area began to look familiar to Gandhali. At the next stop light we decided to ask another person where the store was located. At this point the man told us we were almost there. Feeling that there was a light at the end of the tunnel gave us some hope and energy. If it were only that easy. Nope, we honestly walked at least 25 to 30 more minutes Our feet were killing us and we were so drained. Then we saw it. That was such a happy moment for us both. We quickly hit the sofa area. I found one that I saw in the catalog and I told them I would take it. (It will be delivered on Thursday.). I went to look at curtains, but I need to order the sizes I need. That quickly became a project and task for another day.

We both knew there was no way we could walk back. We walked next door to a large mall and ask someone how we could get a taxi. He told us where to stand and about 20 minutes later we had a ride back to the hotel. To give you an idea of how far we walked to those stores it took us about 20 minutes in a car. Now, imagine us walking that far and actually farther. We had been so thrilled to see the taxi. We were both ready to get to our rooms, clean up and then relax.

Now I am in my room. I have been getting things organized for my check out in the morning. I have to see if I can get a taxi that will take my bike in the trunk. Otherwise, I will have to walk from my apartment back to the hotel and then ride my bike back to the apartment. That will be another long traveling day.

Just an FYI, we began walking at 1:20 and did not get home until about 6:45. Were decided that there is no way that we did not burn off the calories from our donuts. I guess that is the silver lining. I am glad to be at the hotel and ready to relax.

Tomorrow morning I will be leaving the hotel around 8:15 in the morning. I am really, really looking forward to it.

Tomorrow when I blog it will be from my apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment