Sunday, August 19, 2012


 Meat, meat, meat and more meat!!!!! Oh yes people, I had to watch three carnivores devour a million pounds of meat right in front of my eyes!!!! Ewwwwwww....I can't believe I even survived! I think I was dry heaving the whole time. Holy Cow...who needs to eat all of that meat. Ugghhhhh.

Let me start from the beginning....Mark, Mel, Robyn and I were headed out to Canal City today. We were having our first experience on the subway. I live right across from one of the main subway stations. It is very handy to have nearby. Since I had never been to the station I had no idea of all of the shops that were inside. It is like a little city. I will have to go there and investigate. It looks like there is supermarket and many other stores. That will be very convenient if I need something in a hurry.

We changed Mel's return flight to tomorrow instead of Saturday. He didn't realize how much he would miss his his wife, Judy, and his phone. (In no particular order...) I have to say that I do not blame him for wanting to go back early- it is so hot and humid that it can really be unbearable. I keep telling myself that in a few weeks it will only get better. Since Mel was returning sooner we wanted to get out and see something in Japan. He also needed to buy some Fukuoka Starbucks mugs.

When we went into the subway station we were trying to figure out the how to buy our tickets. I asked one young man, but he didn't seem to anxious to help. Then a nice couple came over and and helped us buy the tickets and even made sure when the train came that we knew it was the one we needed. I just love how nice and helpful the people are here in Japan.

The trains are so fast. I had no idea that it would go as fast as it did. We timed the trip and it only took about 20 minutes to go abut 10 stops. Speedy, speedy speedy!. Once we arrived we saw the shops in the subway terminal. We then headed upstairs to go and find Canal City. There was one little problem. Mel forgot (or really just didn't know) that you are supposed to take your ticket out for your departure. He then had to go and purchase another ticket just to get out of the subway area.

We were then off to explore. Canal City is a multi level shopping area that has a canal in the middle on the bottom level. There are stores for shoes, clothes, food, paper, jewelry, etc. plus a large choice of restaurants. We had not really eaten much for breakfast so that was our first stop. They were letting me select the restaurant because it is hard to find things that I can eat at every restaurant, imagine that. I saw that the menu to one of the places had a really nice looking salad so I said that would work. We go in and are seated at a table that has a type of hitachi cooker. We were thinking that may make for a fun lunch. We asked if there were any servers who spoke English so we could find out how the menu worked with the cooker. We had a very nice young lady assist us and we found out that the serve food for a group of people. She was explaining how there was meat they would bring and then everyone cooks it and then eats it. I told her that I wanted to salad and she said it came with the meal along with rice. I have to say that I was a little worried when everyone decided to order the spread that would serve 3-4 people. Shortly after ordering plates and plates and plates of raw meat started to arrive at the table. I couldn't believe it. The salad did show up and I shared a little of it and then claimed it as mine so I could also eat something. My lunch consisted of salad and rice. The meat eaters had pork, chicken, and some horrible stomach thing. Ugghhh..there was also chicken or some other type of fat balls. Really, there was. Grossed me out!!!!

After the carnivores scarfed down all the meat we headed out to look at the shops. They have some nice stores which I will have to go and explore when I do not have any men with me. It kind of cramps my style to know someone is waiting on me. I feel like I have to hurry and that is just no way to shop. I know many of you reading this agree with me. Since it is so easy and quick to get there I can go any time on the weekends.
We found Starbucks and Mel was able to get the mugs he was looking for. He is like me in that I also collect Starbucks mugs. I just love seeing all of the places I have been when I use the mugs. Afterwards we casually looked around and then headed back to the subway station. It was toasty out today. By the time we reached the train we were all melting. Luckily for us the subway trains are air conditioned....it was heaven.

We got back to our apartment and Mark and I took on the task of taking our bed apart in a room that is not cooled by the air conditioner. It was horrible. We were both drenched in sweat by the time we finished. We had to take it apart to move it in the room. I will post photos once I get the suitcases unpacked, otherwise you would just see heaps of clothes and stuff.

Now we are relaxing watching the Japanese baseball games. Mel is going to leave tomorrow and I really appreciate him coming with Mark to help get our cats here.

Look at the photos and you will see the meat lunch and Canal City.








No comments:

Post a Comment